- Early 2001, live.av.com
Altavista's sharing site disappeared,
along with altavista's "My" service.
- Feb 2001, homepages.go.com disappeared
disney gave up on Go.com as a portal
- March 2001 Ememories.comabsorbed
- April 7,2001 Ecircles.com announced shutdown as of
April 15. Once they thought they would take over the world.
- April 14, 2001 OnlinePhotoLab.com, and
InfoPics.com found dead.
- April 26, 2001 Opholio taken off life support, declared
- May 2001 PhotoHighway shuffled on down the road.
- June 26, 2001 Homestead.com
subsection) reabsorbed into Shutterfly. A lot of their
other sevices disappeared too.
- July 2, 2001 Zing.com closed.
were one of the really good ones.
- Oct 31, 2001 GatherRound.com
absorbed into Ofoto
- Dec 15, 2001 Photopoint.com
disappeared suddenly for the second (and final?) time. Eyewitness
reports their former offices are dark and empty. In their earlier
debacle in June 2001, they went offline as a free service and returned
few days later as a paid service. If you paid, don't expect to
your money back, but you can pay them even more to get a CD with your
images (if you were foolish enough to leave them with the only known
copy of anything).
- Jan 16, 2002
StudioAvenue.com announced their demise, effective Feb 15, 2002.
At least they gave fair warning! They were a clone of PhotoLoft.
- January 25, 2002
ceased free sevice. The sequence of events seems to be that in
March 2001, Photoloft ran out of money and started trying to charge for
services. In November 2001, Canon
(formerley a licensed
clone) acquired Photoloft. In Jan 2002 the new master set about
shutting down the parent and the other clone, StudioAvenue.
- Feb 14, 2002 Kodak.Photonet.com gracefully superceeded by Kodak
- June 19, 2002 YourPhotosquietly
and never came back. No great loss in this case.
- June 2002 Lifesketch.com - a strange hybred of software
sales and multiple level marketing. Learn to make web albums at a
- Sept 18, 2002 PhotoAlbumWeb.com discontinued services.
- Dec 2, 2002 DigitalFridge.com
- Dec 9, 2002 Photos.Lycos.com
- Mar 31, 2003 imgstudio.com
made it to my active list, but they died.
- May 26, 2003 picturestage.com gracefully shut down, after
plenty of advance notice. A decent way to go.
- July 4, 2003 photomoto.net went directly from "under
development" to "closing soon"
- Aug 31,2003, Seemesmile.com closed.
- Sept 26, 2003 Canon Hyperphoto
discontinued. This completes the saga of Photoloft.
- Oct 5, 2003 Albumatic,
nice freeware album generator, withdrawn to eliminate the financial
and time drain it imposed.
- Myphotoalbumonline.com, a custom photo web site builder who
never got off the ground. Closed Jan 2004
- Picfa.com, never really got started. Apparently
R.I.P. Feb 2004.
- March 2004, Imara.com, originally associated with
ulead.com, closed with a push toward clubphoto.
- Webphotos - started down the drain Nov 2004. No
telling when the final gurgle occurred.
- PhotoIsland, R.I.P. Nov 22, 2004
- Photocountry.com, found dead Nov 29, 2004
- Membo.org, 11/2004. This was a "hobby" site, probably
doomed from the start.
- Photofun.com died Dec 31, 2004. Curiously, this was
announced on March 29, 2005.
- Eframes.com - sometime before 5/2005. Accounts
transferred to ezprints.com
- Kodak Picturecenter 6/2005. Probably not so much a
death as a suicide, as Kodak has acquired Ofoto, which became Kodak
- HPPhoto/Cartogra. 9/2005 This was a 'major
name' site. Customers were sent to snapfish.
- Fotango 7/2006 a UK company.
- Club Photo 5/2007. Quite suddenly, but after
comlaints about deteriorating service.
- Photoworks 4/4/2011. Closed with a few weeks notice,
images transferrable to shutterfly.